You have your business ready to launch. But wait, you’ve forgotten something. You don’t have your business listed in Google yet. Now, you are wondering how to setup your business in Google so that your customers can find your business in Google Search and Google Maps. Here is 5 simple steps to set up your business in Google My Business.
Why is it important to list your business in Google?
Nowadays, your customers’ No #1 go to source to look for anything would be Google. When they ‘google’ you, you want your customers to be able to find your business immediately in Google Maps. If they can’t find it, they might assume that your business just doesn’t exist yet or not legit. That’s why it is important for you to make sure that your business is listed in Google Maps and Google Search.
5 Easy Steps to Set Up Google My Business
Step 1: Start
- Go to Google My Business and click on “Get on Google”.
You must have a Google account before you can set up Google My Business. I recommend you to setup a general marketing email (e.g. Google App: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org). This way you can also use this email for all of your other social media accounts so that you have an integrated marketing channel.
- Once you’ve logged in, if you already set up Google Places before. This is what you will see.
Step 2: Find Your Business
- Otherwise, search for your business name.
- If it already exists, then click on the business name. Otherwise, click “Add your business”.
- Fill out your Business form.
- If your business has been listed and it wasn’t by you (or you don’t have access to the account), you can re-verify to reclaim your listing.
Step 3: Verification
- Google requires each new listing to be verified either using postcard or phone call.
- Your postcard will take 1-2 weeks to arrive. Don’t forget to put the “ATTN” line to ensure that the mail comes to you.
- Once your postcard arrives, please follow the instruction on the postcard to verify your business.
Step 4: Welcome to Google My Business
You don’t have to wait for the postcard to arrive to get started. You can prepare your page right away so that everything is ready for when you verified your business.
Get Your Free Google+ Profile Cover Photo Template.
Step 5: Set Up Your Profile
This is pretty self explanatory. If you need more help, you can look at Google+ My Brands Page.